Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chalkboard Tape - Rachael's Product of the Week

Hi everyone, it's Rachael again with one of my new favorite products.  There is no denying that the Chalkboard effect is huge right now.  I can safely admit amongst fellow crafters that I fell in love, and promptly purchased, every piece of the new We R Memory Keepers Chalkboard line.  Given my love of all things Chalkboard, it should be no surprise that I called the store on vacation and asked them to put a roll of the new Fancy Pants 1" Chalkboard tape on hold for me until I could get back.

I must admit, the tape wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  For starters, it doesn't tear by hand like washi tape, you have to use scissors, and it feels more like electrical or duct tape than paper tape...but I would not be deterred.  I set out to experiment with the best tools to use on my new tape.

First I tried my Sharpie oil-based paint pen.  That was a bust.  It did not show up on the tape at all.  Next I tried embossing an image on the tape.  I used Versa Mark embossing ink, and white embossing powder.  I was a little afraid that my heat tool would melt the tape, but it didn't!  I LOVE the embossed look on this tape, it was exactly what I was looking for.  My third technique was using the white Uni-ball pen I just purchased at Scrapdoodles.  Another success!  The ink is very crisp on the tape.  I wrote on the tape and let it dry for about an hour and there was no smearing.  My final medium was stamping with ink.  I used a white archival ink and stamped several images on the tape.  After an hour, the ink would still smear a little.  The effect was neat, but if I was sending it as a tag or a card I wouldn't want it to smear, so I pulled out my heat gun.  After a few passes, the ink was set, and no longer smeared.




I'm happy to report that I just love the chalkboard tape, and that it is very versatile.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  I layered some of the tape on to cardstock and cut shapes out with punches.  You could use an electronic die cutting machine.  The tape is a great accent on cards, tags, and layouts.  The possibilities are endless.  We carry different widths of tape, as well as a pack of shaped tags at Scrapdoodles.  Hurry in and grab your own and you too can add fun chalkboard accents to your future projects.

Happy crafting
Rachael

No comments: