Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pillow Box Teacher Gifts with Pam

We are excited to have Pam sharing with us today on the blog!  Here is what she has to share about her Employee Project of the Week:

At this time of year, most of us crafty folks are making teacher gifts or graduation gifts.  My grandkids have 5 teachers and they always want to do something nice for the special teachers; art, music, PE, librarian as well. I like to remember the office staff and bus drivers too but this can get expensive.  My project this week shows how to make an elegant pillow box to hold a gift card or fill with candy or tuck in a small gift.  This project is super easy and affordable.



I started with the medium size pillow box, Teresa Collins Summer Stories "Stripes" paper,  a piece of coordinating cardstock and a tube of the new ZAZZ glitter glue (Diamond) that I've been anxious to try.  I cut 1 piece of the Stripes paper at 4" x6".  And used the Dots side on the back of the sheet.  I tucked it inside the box to determine the best fit, pinched it where the folds need to be, removed it, completed the folds and adhered the cardstock to itself with ScorTape.

I trimmed out the pink floral stripe and trimmed it to 4" x 1.5" to make the decorative piece.  I inked the edges with brown ink and adhered it to the dot piece.  These are now inserted into the box.

I trimmed out the black stripe piece and wrapped it around the outside of the box.  (A pretty ribbon would look nice instead too!)  Approximate dimensions 1" x 6 1/2".

It still needed something so I punched 3 flowers out of plain cardstock and shaped the petals.  I put a little Zazz on the center edge of each petal and I coated a brad top with Zazz for the flower center.  I had a small Prima flower on hand and used it too.    I poked a small hole in the black band and secured the flower to the band with the brad.

Thinking about it now, I could make more boxes out of the same sheet if I would've used the plain card stock but I really liked the look of the patterned piece against the dots.  In less than 5 minutes I made this second box a little simpler but just as elegant:



 I made a masculine box too:


Is your gift a little bigger or smaller?  Not a problem, we carry pillow boxes in 3 or 4 sizes.

I hope that these inspire you to do something nice for the people that are important in your lives!


-Pam

No comments: