Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Orange and Blue - and Some Vellum, Too! Design Team Wednesday

It's Karen here for today's Design Team Wednesday with two layouts and a few cards to share.  This first layout uses two sheets of gorgeous blue and orange paper from Quick Quotes Paper Company and one of their Vellum Journaling Strips.  I wasn't sure about the designs on this "Tin Type" line of papers, but loved the blue/orange color combination, so I took a closer look.  I flipped these two sheets over and found, to my delight, a much more subtle pattern that was easy to use.  I cut a die cut flower pattern out of the orange sheet using the Paper Lace Cricut cartridge and added a journaling box from Simple Stories that I had in my stash (it's cut apart behind the photo to make it appear bigger than its original 5x7 size).  I really liked this vellum title strip, but wanted to make it stand out on the page a bit more.  I love how placing colored and/or patterned paper behind the vellum can change the whole look of it - this makes it easy to match to your layout.  I opted for a small polka dot green print.  Adhering vellum can be challenging, too.  I was out of vellum tape, so I decided to just add a couple of stitches to adhere it to the green paper.  I simply threaded a needle with two colors of thread and doubled it up and stitched a few irregular "stars" to attach the vellum to the green paper.  I then could use my regular adhesive to attach the strip to a piece of chipboard (okay it was just some cardboard) and then used glue dots to attach the whole thing to my page.  Basically, I took a $1.00 vellum strip and with a few items I already had in my stash, turned it into a $3.00 embellishment.  Now that's frugal - and pretty, too!   Scrapdoodles has several of these vellum strips to choose from - lots of fun titles/journaling sentiments for your cards and layouts and they are really fun to experiment with.  Stop in soon for the best selection :).

I was also drawn to the same color combination on this Nikki Sivils line of papers called "Messages".  It also sported some cute telephone and typewriter graphics and fun little phrases.  I was excited to use the "You Are Just My Type" title for a layout featuring a recent photo of my husband.  I used one sheet as the background and cut a large shape (from Storybook Cricut cartridge) from a sheet of ledger paper (so cool!).  The other two sheets I picked up had all sorts of graphics on them, including the strips of typewriters and telephones (I just cut them apart and layered 3 strips behind the photo).  I fussy cut the big typewriter and popped it out on the page with foam dots.  The small banner punched out from the die-cut sheet and I threaded a bit of twine through the four pieces to connect them before I adhered it with glue dots onto my page.  I love how this layout turned out.  It was nice to create a page for the man who, after 17 years of marriage, is STILL "my type." :)
Between the "cut-outs" page and the "punch-outs" sheet, I had lots of elements left, so I also created a few quick cards.  I used some plain cardstock from my stash and layered various embellishments to create these three cards.  These literally took just a few minutes to put together and are great "all-purpose" cards.  I especially like the "you light up my life" sentiment - too cute!
You can find these fun papers at Scrapdoodles right now.  Challenge yourself with a new color scheme, have a little fun experimenting with the vellum strips and send a few "messages" to your friends and family.  I think the Nikki Sivils "Messages" papers won't last long, though, so hurry in!   Happy Scrappin'!  Karen

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love your projects! The quick quotes paper made a beautiful layout! Great layout and cards with Nikki Sivil's message lne!