Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Design Team Wednesday

It's Karen here with your Wednesday projects.  I'm itching for spring.  How about you?  To hasten the season, I decided to create a couple of lovely spring decor items, namely a butterfly garland and a banner.  I used some pretty double-sided papers from We R Memory Keepers.  The line is called "Cotton Tail" and features an adorable bunny on the coordinating border sheet and stickers.  You can see the whole line here on their website, or just come into Scrapdoodles and choose from this and many other beautiful spring papers.
For my butterfly garland, I cut out several butterfly shapes, all the same size, from the various papers.  It was really easy to put together.  I used some twine, some irridescent pony beads (which I looped to hold in place) and some glue dots.  The twine is sandwiched between two butterflies.  I then folded out the wings of the butterflies.  The photos do not do this garland justice as it takes on a life of its own with any gentle breeze.  The butterflies twirl and the beads sparkle.

I used the same line to create this easy spring banner.  I think the brown kraft paper really allows the pretty patterns to shine.  After cutting the flowers I just used my hands to crinkle and fold them in to give them shape and dimension.  I simply used hot glue to attach them to the base and then added a sparkly gem in the middle of each flower.  Since I had several butterflies left over from the garland project, I added a few onto the banner, adorning them with more crystals.  Then, I added a few extra sparkly brads to complete the project.
You can visit my blog if you want more details on the cuts for both of these projects. 
 

Keeping with the spring theme, I've got a quick layout for you to try.  I've seen lots of layouts using ribbons or strips of patterned papers as borders, and it's really easy to do!  It's a great way to use your scraps or cut up a 12x12 border sheet, as I did in my layout.  I also used my sewing machine on this layout to mimic the kite-tail pattern in the kite-themed paper.  The kite paper and border sheet is from imaginisce.  It's just one of sheets from their "Hippity Hop" line. The colors in this sprint line are vibrant and simply adorable!  Since my daughter and I had just tried our hand at kite-flying, I knew I had the perfect pics to go with the paper. 

I hope you are able to craft a little spring into your world.  Just stop in the store for lots of inspiration.

No comments: