Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Design Team Wednesday - Guest Valentine's Day Post by Rachael

Hi everyone!  It's Rachael, and I'm here in lieu of one of our normal design team members to share with you a project that my children and I worked on for Valentine's Day.

I'm going to be honest here.  I am normally a "night before it's due kind of gal", but one day in early January, a piece of My Mind's Eye paper from the Cupid's Arrow line caught my eye, and the next thing I knew, I was working with my children on Valentine's Day cards for their classmates.



I love the new trend in many paper lines of 12x12 pages that are comprised of 3x4 pieces.  These pages are so versatile because you can cut up the paper into the 3x4 pieces for a variety of projects, or you can use the pattern on the other side for layouts.

For this project, I was inspired to cut the 12x12 page up into the individual 3x4 pieces because I could create a variety of unique Valentine's Day cards.  My twins are in the same classroom, and I wanted them to be able to give different cards to their friends.  I also loved the colors which made these perfect for boys or girls.

I wanted to keep the cards simple, so that my children could help me create them, but wanted to add a  little extra color, so I turned to wash tape.  In this instance, I thought the washi tape set from another My Mind's Eye line, Lost and Found- Record It, synced up with my project perfectly.  By staying with the same manufacturer I was able to stay within the same color family, but I achieved a different look than if I had used everything from one line.


Now it was on to assembly.  We chose our favorite 3x4 cards, and used the remainder as background images.  We applied each card with a slight offset and a strip of washi tape below, and voila', homemade Valentines that are as unique as they are adorable (if I do say so myself).



To complete the project, I just HAD to break out my Silhouette Cameo and drawing pens.  I downloaded two images from the Silhouette online store, designed my envelope to include the names of my children's classmates, and let the Cameo work it's magic.  I was very happy with how they turned out, but please forgive the photo, I am an AWFUL photographer.


Thanks to the Design Team for inviting me to share my project on the blog.  If you haven't started those valentines yet, I encourage you to stop by the store and check out the various Valentine's lines we have in stock.  You'll be sure to find some cute papers and embellishments to create your own one of a kind gifts.

Happy Crafting
Rachael

No comments: